The Benjamin L. Hooks Institute for Social Change at the University of Memphis invites you to submit an article for publication in the Hooks Institute’s blog Uplift Memphis, Uplift the Nation.
The Benjamin L. Hooks Institute for Social Change promotes its mission of teaching, studying, and promoting civil rights and social change primarily through teaching, research, innovative campaigns, and community engagement. Through our online blog, we are interested in providing a space for diverse perspectives and disciplines that advance the goals and objectives of the Hooks Institute. For more information on the Hooks Institute, click here.
- Submissions must reflect the Hooks Institute’s mission of teaching, studying, and promoting civil rights and social change.
- Submissions should be 800 –1,000 words, with a reading level similar to a newspaper article, similar to an article found in The Commercial Appeal
- An accompanying image is optional (we’ll include one if you don’t). If you wish to provide an image to go with your blog post, it should be attributed (provide image source URL), at least 200×200 pixels, JPG or PNG format. If you submit a stock photo, please ensure it’s royalty-free and able to be shared and modified for marketing/commercial purposes.
- Instead of footnotes, we prefer hyperlink notations.
- Submissions that require extensive editing or revision will not be reviewed.
- The Hooks Institute cannot publish submissions that actively advocate for or against a political candidate or legislation.
- Email your blog post to email@example.com with “post for Uplift” in the subject line. Please send us the blog post as a Word doc. You can also email us with blog post ideas/potential titles and topics.