Indie Games / Niche Markets

Indie game developers are great because they fill gamers with nostalgia.  I’m not a big gamer and I haven’t really played video games in years….. but Fez and Super Meat Boy seem like games that I wouldn’t mind playing.  Mainly because they remind me of the games that I played when I was little.  Indie game developers can tap into markets that mainstream game developers can’t really reach. Nowadays it seem like games are more focused on graphics and realism.  Personally, if I’m playing a video game….I really don’t care about the graphics. I actually kind of prefer them to look pretty crappy.  I definitely see myself as a part of the niche audience that some indie game developers are trying to appeal 2…..I would take the graphics and gameplay of Pac-Man and Pong over any mainstream video game created today.

7 thoughts on “Indie Games / Niche Markets

1. I agree with the notion of having games that still have that early 90’s feel to them. But with today’s market the graphics and realism is what appeal to us. It gives you the feel that you are actually apart of the game.I like the how NBA 2k looks but it is scary how real the players look. My uncle saw me playing the game and actually thought I was watching a real game lol.

2. For me, video games just need to immerse me into a world that is not my own, realistic or not. It goes the same for movies. I am a huge movie buff, and I use them as an escape from everyday life. Each movie and each game is a different experience I know I can’t get anywhere else. That is why I don’t like playing sports games. Why would I play something that I can play in real life? I like realistic first person shooters such as Rage, and I like cartooney games such as Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter. That is also why I like Sci-Fi movies like The Matrix, Pitch Black, and a more recent one, Cloud Atlas. I get to forget about my life for a few hours and be exposed to something fresh and interesting. I do prefer the graphics to be less pixelly though, cartoon or life-like characters.

• Hey that’s a good point about sports games.
      “Why would I play something that I can play in real life?”

3. Same here. The first video console I ever played games on was Nintendo. I also had a Super Nintendo (which I still play occasionally) and an Atari (which I unfortunately gave away). And I’ve pretty much played on every console since then. But my favorite games are the old ones. I don’t like the realism and stories in new games. I just like to play. So I’m definitely with you on this one. Fez and Super Meat Boy look like games I would play, and I would be more than willing to pay $10 each for these two rather than $60 for COD.

• yeah the old NES was the bomb..the controllers had only 4 buttons A,B,Select and Start….These controllers and buttons on some of the new systems are so freakin confusing.

4. Yes i would have to agree as well. I remember when i was younger my friend use to record himself playing story mode video games and play them back after completing current levels. Whith enough skill they video they would sometimes looked like an animated short.

5. It’s true that independent developers are rather able to make niche games, what big studios like EA or Rockstar can’t, because they have to sell millions of copies to actually make profit.
    However, I was a bit disappointed to see that they rather develop remakes instead of coming up with really new ideas. Though Super Meat Boy looks interesting and funny for sure, the mechanics are pretty much the same as most other arcade games that were released before.