Fragmentation

As I mentioned in class earlier today, I believe that mass and niche media both fill different needs for people, so they will both continue to co-exist. I believe that it is in our human nature to want to feel connected with other people based on our generic interests, such as weather, sports, and popular music and movies. Mass media allow us to do this on a large scale. For instance, everyone has been able to talk to one another about Hurricane Sandy, even those of us that have no direct connection with the storm. We do this to feel a sense of community, a shared “social glue.” But on the opposite side of this are niche media. Niche media cater to our specific interests that might not be commonly shared by many other people that we know. For instance, I’ve been really into biking for the past two years. While the population of bike enthusiasts in Memphis has grown because of the Shelby Farms Greenline, this interest area still isn’t one that I could use to connect with nearly every single person walking down the street. So I am left with using niche media to connect with people who share my interest. Because of the availability of niches like this (which are fragmented), consumers like myself have become fragmented as well. This has created a problem for advertising-based businesses because advertisers no longer completely know where target audiences are and how to best reach them. In the readings, it is also mentioned that the traditional approaches to measuring audience attention no longer work in this era of new media, which is a key problem derived from fragmentation. But I think this disruption allows for a time of opportunity. There is now a definite need for new development and rethinking.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Brittney Block. Bookmark the permalink.

About Brittney Block

I am a graduate student at the University of Memphis, studying journalism with a concentration in integrated communications. I am currently working on a thesis concerning the use of QR code scanners and the mobile app Shazam. I expect to graduate Spring 2013.

One thought on “Fragmentation

1. #heckyeah – i definitely agree with you Brittney —> Generic interests —> are like the best ways 2 break the ice when you’re in a room with a bunch of people that u don’t know.
    I’m looking forward to the future because eye really want 2 see how advertisers will be able to adjust in this era of new media.