City of Memphis Territory/Land Acknowledgement

We begin today by recognizing and acknowledging that we are on the historic Homeland of the Chickasaw Nation of which they inhabited. Memphis, and all of Tennessee, was the long established territory for many indigenous peoples prior to their forced removal and unforeseen extinction. We have a responsibility to acknowledge the peoples and histories of these lands. Our ability to live here is the result of direct coercion, forced dispossession, and deliberate colonization. To ignore that is to perpetuate injustice to populations of people that no longer exist in this state, yet, have established major societies elsewhere in this country. The City of Memphis respects the diverse communities it touches, including those who occupied this territory originally, those brought to it by force, and those who settled here in search of better circumstances. We understand that territorial acknowledgement is only a gesture, but it represents the beginning of our commitment to justice and reconciliation in the United States.

Thank you to the Chickasaw Nation (and to their legal counsel and Department of Culture and Humanities specifically) for the comments and revisions.

6 thoughts on “City of Memphis Territory/Land Acknowledgement”

1. This is excellent! Rarely in my work in Memphis do I hear people offer land acknowledgements. If you still maintain this website, I would be very interested in connecting. I work for a national organization for Native education and would like to connect my national work to what is happening locally in Memphis where I reside.

2. This is amazing! I wish I knew this existed before today! I will definitely be using and sharing this.

3. Don’t challenge us to reconsider beliefs or learn new things, its simply signal that the speaker is a faithful adherent.

4. I’d want to connect if you still maintain this webpage. I work with a nationwide Native education organization and want to connect it to Memphis. I like to watch the news, then I’ll play stumble guys for fun

5. It is the perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest to you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write the next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it

6. quordle A good blog always comes up with new and exciting information and while reading I have to feel that this blog really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a one