My view of Media 2.0

I loved this class because it is so relevant and will remain relevant because the internet and its uses are only growing.  Like I have stated in previous blogs, I believe that Wikipedia is growing and becoming more helpful and useful.  It was at first seen as a joke because anybody could edit any article.  This is only half true now because a lot of articles are locked down from being edited.  Also Wikipedia has just about the same error record as the actual encyclopedias.  I have learned how to more effectively utilize Wikipedia as well as the sources used to create it.  This has also been a semester of blogs for me.  I have a blog in this class, my Persuasion class, and my Argumentation class.  Before this semester, I thought of blogging as something useless and boring.  Now I see it as a very useful tool for anyone trying to make a career through the internet, or as just a way to express one’s interests and opinions.  Needless to say with three different class blogs, I think I have got the hang of it.

In regards to the blog for the final project, it is very difficult to promote it because not many people I know have a Tumblr, so posting a link to it on Facebook and Twitter is virtually useless.  The blog was not even the biggest part of the work I am doing for the project, but I will have something of my own personal work to add to it by the time I need to present it, perfect or not.  This project has been a good learning experience in and of itself with me learning how to edit videos by myself.

I also loved this class, with our last session online in particular, because we talked about subjects I am already so interested in such as Harry Potter, The Matrix, and The Walking Dead.  I have also learned a lot about the work that is put into making an indie video game as well as transmedia, fan culture, and of course, the long tail.  The Long Tail is probably the most important because of how much it applies to everything in media from music, to movies, to book, etc.  All in all, I was probably most engaged in this class this semester.  It was very interesting, and it definitely sparked a lot for me.

3 thoughts on “My view of Media 2.0

1. I agree. I think this was one of the most engaged classes for me too. Check out this short film named Plurality.

2. I agree that wikipedia is becoming more and more useful. I was one of those people who thought wikipedia was a joke, but I learned that the site is actually very organized and works hard to keep people from vandalizing the pages either by administrators locking down the site or by people who post on that particular page that usually quickly delete the post. Even when the wiki paper was assigned I was worried that I was going to have problems with a lot of idiots posting stupid things. There are actually a lot of passionate people who take the wikipedia pages very seriously because they want other people to understand and enjoy what they are so passionate about.

3. You’re right about Wikipedia. This course reinforced my positive attitude towards it.
    The class changed my view on blogging, too. Just like you, I also thought that blogging was rather useless and I had a hard time understanding why people would even do that. However, doing it myself made me think about it more positively. It’s a great tool for people to express their thoughts, feelings or publish any other stuff people might be interested in beyond dominant media.