Politics online

The main outlets from which I receive my information on politics are Facebook, The Daily Show (which is not a terrible source if you’re a democrat), bits and pieces of debates and speeches I catch, and obnoxious rants I hear from my friends.  I guess I could say SNL, but they focus way more on exaggerating the flaws of politicians than presenting political matters.  SNL is more like the songified version of the first debate.  They are both purely for comedic purposes.  Although this election, SNL has seemed to hit Romney way harder than they did Obama.  From what I could tell, it seemed like every celebrity I saw that stated who they were supporting was supporting Obama.  I don’t really know what that means, but I just thought it was interesting.

When it comes to a person’s view on politics, I do not think anyone’s views will be easily swayed by anything they are exposed to unless they are starting out completely neutral.  I especially think any discussion about politics online or any exposure to political views and reasoning behind them online will not sway a person’s views because politics are very personal.  This is especially true with young people.  Whatever helps “you” the most is what you are going to be behind.  For most people who follow politics, it’s about what will help them in the long run instead of what is best for the country as a whole.  This is at least what I have noticed on Facebook and Twitter.  There are people who supported Obama because he is for student loans, and there are people who supported Romney so their tax money does not go to the healthcare of the jobless.  Both of these are relevant issues, but those are the main things that certain people look at.  Then there is the completely radical side where people are talking about leaving the country because Obama was elected again, and that we are going to be in a depression now even though we are already in one.  For me, politics on the internet is obnoxious to say the least.

One thought on “Politics online

1. sometimes i feel like celebs should keep their political views 2 themselves…but i did find Snoop Dogg’s list kind of funny.
    Yeah you’re right..i don’t think that majority of the people care about what’s best 4 the country as a whole either.