I <3 Memphis - Kerry Williams

I have missed A LOT of day of class. I was really skeptical about the guest speaker. I really enjoyed myself. Kerry Williams is over the I <3 Memphis blog.

This blog is her baby. She created this blog from scratch. I found it very interesting how much time goes into blogging. Even though, she spends majority of her time NOT IN HER OFFICE. It sounds like a pretty easy, funny job. I’ve heard about this blog before just word of mouth. I never really just took time and look at it. Its really an interesting site. I love the idea of every week she post
‘5 Things to Do Around Memphis’ . I live in Memphis, and everyday I’m trying to find something to get into. She has this formula of how she picks it:
1. Big Thing
2. Kid Friendly – all ages can enjoy
3. Music
4. Something people wouldn’t normally do
5. Something she wants to do.

She uses this free site called Google Analytical Metrics. It measures everything on the site. How cool is this? Surprisingly a lot of her traffic comes from New York. She lost a lot traffic when Hurricane Sandy and because of the election.
A lot of her traffic comes from (in order):

1. Google Search
2. Twitter
3. Facebook
4. Direct Traffic
5. Changes from corporate

– She’s starting to she a lot of traffic coming from traffic.

She offered some tips about starting a blog ABSOLUTELY  no politics, crime , or cursing. Be honest about places, not rude. There is a difference.

6 thoughts on “I <3 Memphis - Kerry Williams

1. I enjoyed our guest speaker also, besides her being easy on the eyes in my opinion she was very passionate about what she does. I will be sending her events I am performing in on a regular basis now, and also I will be sending her my bio, and some of my photoshoot pics, and she just might post a feature about me on her site. I’m glad she came to class, due to the internet and blogs opportunities to get your name/career path out there are endless.

2. Yes. Ms. Kerry was quite cute, and even though I didn’t ask any questions during her talk, I learned a lot. The closer I get to my bachelor’s, the more and more I’m realizing that I cannot picture having a career that does not involve music, movies, dance, or some form of entertainment that involves any of the three. I am also realizing that the internet is the best and easiest way to get my interests, talents, and thoughts out there for people to see and hopefully catch the attention of someone who will help lay out a path for me to a career involving these things. Using the techniques she discussed in class with her blog would definitely help in getting my name out there.

3. Yeah I really enjoyed her talk. I love her blog. I’ve been following it for a while now just because it literally has EVERY thing about memphis from restaurants to weekend events. I’ve lived in Memphis for pretty much my whole life and her blog is constantly introducing me to places I have never heard of but have been around for a while. Her blog really has been a godsend to many local businesses who, because of her, are attracting more and different people.

• Yeah, I completely agree. I’ve lived here a long time too, and I check out her event listings often so I can find new things to do. She’s great at her job, and it’s definitely an awesome thing for Memphis. The only thong I hope to see in the future is some sort of business model for the blog. Advertising would be perfect for her, her company, visitors, and us locals.

4. I really enjoyed her too. With me being in Memphis all my life her blog with most definitely help find some new spots to check out.