Wikipedia Project Experience

I had known so much already about The O.C. before I even started this paper.  The Wikipedia page is huge though and filled me in on a lot of fan culture as well as plenty of interesting behind the scenes stuff that I would have never known about.  There is a huge fan base for the show on YouTube.  Over half of the spoofs, that have had thousands of remakes and copies made, were started by the comedy group The Lonely Island.  It also had copy cat shows made after it like Laguna Beach and The Real Housewives of Orange County.  I learned that people are always throwing out ideas.  Most of them are putting their ideas forth before they actually add it to the page.  If too many people agree that adding a new page is unnecessary, then it will not be added.  Most of the edits though were minor ones either to grammar or to change minor statistics or facts.  From what I could tell, there were no edits or revisions necessary for me to make.  Thankfully I did not find any vandalism or just completely wrong facts about the plot of the show or the actors and actresses themselves.  This is one of the few shows I have actually watched from beginning to end, so it would have been easy to catch flaws in the storyline.  One thing I had trouble with was comprehending some of the revisions that were made.  It was a little unclear to me at times because sometimes it would list a part was edited and I did not see anything that was changed.  Other than that, I learned a lot both about Wikipedia and The O.C.

2 thoughts on “Wikipedia Project Experience

1. The editors and readers of Wikipedia are very skeptical about what goes in to an article. They can vote to remove an article entirely if they do no’t feel that the references are credible or if they feel the information is irrelevant.