Filter

Filters are a great way to block undesirable content from your emails.  Parents and  schools  use filters to block unwanted websites that may be inappropriate for children to view.  Business also use filters to block employees from looking at sites like Facebook and  Twitter while on company time. We use filters while shopping on the internet and conducting daily business.

My daughter wanted a pair of footed pajamas for her birthday.  I went on line and I did a search for footed pajamas.  One website had several categories to choose from. They had collegiate footed pj’s, costumes, animal prints and the list goes one.  I just wanted one pair I did not know that I would have to choose from so many options.

When you sign up for sites such as Netflix and Hulu Plus you are asked what type of movies and TV shows you like.  Based on you answers that you provide, a lists of recommended  television and movies are generated.  Through these filters I have run across some very good movies that never made it to the big screen.  I would have never found these movies while searching Netflix’s large database of movies.

Advertisers use filters to help drive business to their websites. I did two voice over commercial for a friends tax business in January.  She decided  to advertise on Youtube instead of placing the ad on the radio or television.  The first  ad was taken off of the website because one of the phrases chosen was caused red flags to come up.  The internet police blocked the commercial and his Google account because he used the  words tax preparation and fast money as filter words. These phrases put together would be considered to be fraudulent activity by IRS standards.

When setting up your filters you need to be careful that you are not using words that may mislead people and cause your account to be shut down.  You also have to use a lot of phrases and words in order to draw the audience to your site. Filters can prove to be a great time saver if the proper key words are used.

One thought on “Filter

1. I like filters and you’re right you don’t want to use misleading words on filters. Also, as much as I hate the ads on youtube, I know they are necessary and needed. I’ve seen some ads that i thought were interesting and I clicked on it.