Convergence Culture

The idea that all of our media would converge into one, big tablet or box has obviously not come to fruition, but our media has definitely converged.  Instead of everything coming together in a big way, it seems to be the exact opposite.  With Apple announcing the iPhone 5 will be the lightest smart phone ever coming in at only 3.7 oz, yet has the almost all the capabilities of a modern day desktop computer.  It seems mobility will be the driving force when it come to the convergence of our media and entertainment in our everyday lives.

The medium v delivery technology is a very interesting way to look at where we’ve come and where we may be going.  By looking at our old delivery methods to the way our media is being delivered today it seems that mobility is also the driving force for how we get our medium and content.  Although, it is impossible to predict our future delivery methods, it is almost certain that they will be smaller and more mobile.

2 thoughts on “Convergence Culture

1. I agree with you that mobile devices will probably become even more important in the future, although I do not really think that they keep becoming smaller – thinking of all these new smartphones that are actually so wide that you cannot even handle them with one hand anymore. Even the new iPhone‘s screen has become bigger.
    Anyway I find it interesting that despite the fact that most of today‘s devices have become multifunctional, people tend to have more devices than ever before. Although your iPhone could basically do everything a traditional PC does – writing texts, browsing the internet, sending emails and so on – people not only have their iPhone, but also an iPad, PC, Playstation3, Xbox, iPod and – currently becoming more important – their SmartTV.

2. The new mobile devices that are coming out are bigger than the ones before them. One of the reasons they are making them bigger is so that people can have the ability to create and enjoy content in a greater display. I have the samsung galaxy SIII that has a 720 HD Super AMOLED screen and the new I phone5 has retina display! which is 326 pixels per inch thats better than most HD TVs! The innovation of display is one the phone manufactures are trying to create a perfect smart phone that can eliminate the need for other devices. Although i think people are still going to use other devices as well.