Insults in the Early Presidential Running

I haven’t been following too closely the early statements and criticisms of presidential hopefuls. Right now there are just too many voices vying for attention for me to be well-informed about them all. But one runner has (purposefully?) drawn much attention by his attitude toward all other candidates: Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has probably been the loudest and most combative voice in the running yet, whether he’s referring to his party or not. He’s commented on Fiorina’s face, Rand Paul’s looks, Bush’s low-energy persona, and you’ve heard the rest. He seems to be campaigning with the idea that his “no-pulled-punches” techniques will attract voters who desire change in our government. He has been quite direct on issues that matter to the public, but he has taken it even further by attacking the character or physical looks of his opponents – something that has little or nothing to do with their policy stances. This is not particularly new for Trump, who has a history of making these kinds of remarks, but it does seem new to the presidential running process (at least in my experience).

The targets of his attacks have usually responded, but they have yet to take on his employed methodology. Rand Paul has called Trump’s techniques “sophomoric” and Chris Christie has chided him for his childlike arguments. Those not in politics, though, have responded to Trump in a different way: attacking him back. From internet newspaper writers to fast food workers, many people have created posts and opinion pieces that employ Trump’s same tactics. They have commented on his hair, tan, entertainment success, and so on.

This has led me to realize that we are beginning to (if we haven’t already) evaluate candidates based on things that don’t particularly matter in regards to the Presidential Office. I’m worried that if this practice of criticizing presidential candidates (for things unrelated to the Office) go on for too long, this mindset will become natural for us. I could see this being a problem in future elections where the common voter evaluates a candidate first by his or her looks, speech ability, and so on before his or her political beliefs. I don’t want to build a slippery slope argument here, but this could put us in danger of institutions with money comically mocking a runner on social media and influencing our opinions before we really get to learn about his or her platform. I’m just hoping that when this Trump ordeal is over, we won’t think it normal to mock or even “light-heartedly tease” a candidate for things that don’t apply to Presidential responsibilities.

37 thoughts on “Insults in the Early Presidential Running

1. This may not be such a new phenomenon. Before the JFK election most voters would have never land eyes on the candidate they were voting for. They would have to vote based on what they have heard. During that JFK electing was the first time a Presidential debate was televised. To the average American JFK looked more like “a President”. Many people attribute the television among other things as to why JFK beat Nixon in that election.

2. I think trump even if he may not be a suitable candidate for president, brings a whole new perspective to the election. He is honest and he says what he thinks. Coming from our past experiences we know that presidential candidates promise a lot of things they don’t really believe just so they can get elected. He also brings more publicity to the election and it is fun to see the other candidates comment on his ridiculous remarks.

3. Nobody has the right to criticize the next person on his appearance then be it the candidate for the presidency himself. I have a similar take on Trump’s presidency which I’m going to highlight in the debate happening tomorrow but before that, I need to Pay Someone To Take My Online Class so that I can attend the debate without worrying about my class attendance.

4. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. Ramen Holsbeek

5. I was just browsing through the internet looking for some information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. Ramen Kessel-Lo

6. Two full thumbs up for this magneficent article of yours. I’ve really enjoyed reading this article today and I think this might be one of the best article that I’ve read yet. Please, keep this work going on in the same quality. Ramen Oud-Heverlee

7. I have bookmarked your website because this site contains valuable information in it. I am really happy with articles quality and presentation. Thanks a lot for keeping great stuff. I am very much thankful for this site. Ramen Vlaams-Brabant

8. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Ramen Aarschot

9. I never imagined such things can be so normal, I am really amazed that this is being normalized which should not be the case, I saw this post in one of the Fiction ghostwriting articles and this is where I got to knew how normalized this is.

10. If you’re currently working on your personal statement, are out of ideas and your deadline is around the corner, then it’s time to think about getting some extra help from professionals. Perhaps, this one https://www.personalstatementwriter.org can help you, just like it helped me when I really needed it.