Welfare applicants drug-tested

Will the argument of welfare applicants needing to be or not to be drug tested ever end? There is an assumption that the people who will receive public assistance are more likely to use illegal drugs. Unfortunately, there are people who will abuse the system. We have lazy people all over that want to have the government helping them so that they can do what they want. On the other hand, you have people who really need the help and they aren’t abusing the system and really do work hard.

Tennessee and 11 other states require applicants to perform drug screening and testing. There are 10 other states that are presenting the same bill hoping to be passed. So which one is right? Do you or do you not drug test these people needing or say they need government assistance?

The state of Tennessee spent $5,295 to start the program, including $4,215 to purchase the drug tests. There are a lot of people who want to put a halt to drug addiction. Some people believe that the state should use their resources to fund drug treatment programs rather then blocking access to public benefit applicants.

In my opinion, this is sad. You have your families and people who really need the assistance. They are being hassled because of the other people who are ruining it for everyone. It will always be a question somewhere. Do you or do you not require drug tests for welfare applicants? What do you think?

36 thoughts on “Welfare applicants drug-tested

1. Well, I remember as a child that my mother was on welfare after my father and her got divorced. She used to send me to the store with the Monopoly bucks, which many laughed at. I understand both sides of the debate, however, what’s best for our nation? I say trial and error. As citizens, we deserve the social services needed and the only to find out is through government and public interventions. The real question is where are we, as a nation, going to be in 2020, if we settle now, against global competition? Just as the level of governments have the power to regulate and businesses have the right to administer drug screens before employment, citizens are obligated to participate or show our loyalty to the institutions that provide needed services.

2. I agree all applicants should be tested. I have personally witnessed drug users getting over on the government for their own personal gain. My family owns a small convenient store, around the same time every month a lady (a known neighborhood drug user) comes and attempts to approach customers about buying her food stamps. In exchange for her food stamps she’ll gain cash and use it for her drug habit. First of all selling food stamps is illegal, it’s a crime that has gone unnoticed for years. I see nothing wrong in being drug tested for government benefits especially if someone is applying for honest reasons. Eventually there will be a way around drug testing just like there was when food stamps were converted to a debit card form.

3. I am kind of on the fence about weither or not those needing help should all be drug tested. I know people who are in the system and really do need the help, but also I know there are a bunch of people out there using the system to get what they want and not having to do or prove anything to be able to have the help. I am leaning a little more towards the states that do test all the applicants. I mean after all if you really do need the help you have nothing to hide. It should be about your family and children not for you to have just because some people may not want to work for what they need. I agree that maybe if we had more drug abuse programs we could help those families in dire need of the assistance only if the parents are willing and actually attending the programs to get help.

4. Speaking as a former State employee, with a responsibility to help applicants comply with the drug testing requirements, I can say in Shelby County, very few people if any that I know of had to do any drug testing. The questions administered to applicants, asks ” have they used drugs in the last 90 days”? If the client states no and the case worker cannot detect any thing that may indicate otherwise, then no testing is done. If the applicant has no history of any kind of drug abuse, it is very difficult to compel that person into a drug test.

5. I understand that there are those who abuse/misuse the system. I used it to my advantage and went back to school and got my GED, which DHS paid for. I then enrolled in higher learning, because I know that this is suppose to be a temporary program. My opinion on drug testing…I believe that regardless people will suffer. If, the parents are found guilty of drug usage the children will surely be worse off than before. The parents assistance is taken away…now how are the children going to survive without?

6. I’ve been troubled for several days with this topic. totosite, But by chance looking at your post solved my problem! I will leave my blog, so when would you like to visit it?

7. I’ve been troubled for several days with this topic. safetoto, But by chance looking at your post solved my problem! I will leave my blog, so when would you like to visit it?

8. Albert Roy here; nice to meet you. I’m a student at college. I’ve discovered the perfect analytical report writing service today for my position. Another thing I’ve noticed is the caliber of your writing. I enjoy reading what you write. You refer to a drug test for welfare applicants. Additionally, I kept reading your blog. We appreciate you sharing with us.

9. Looking at this article, I miss the time when I didn’t wear a mask. casinocommunity Hopefully this corona will end soon. My blog is a blog that mainly posts pictures of daily life before Corona and landscapes at that time. If you want to remember that time again, please visit us.

10. When I read an article on this topic, baccaratcommunity the first thought was profound and difficult, and I wondered if others could understand.. My site has a discussion board for articles and photos similar to this topic. Could you please visit me when you have time to discuss this topic?

11. As I am looking at your writing, casinosite I regret being unable to do outdoor activities due to Corona 19, and I miss my old daily life. If you also miss the daily life of those days, would you please visit my site once? My site is a site where I post about photos and daily life when I was free.

12. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! Zonnepanelen

13. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Zonnepanelen

14. It’s really nice and meanful. it’s really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information. Airco

15. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! Airconditioning

16. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! Airco installatie