Is remixing writing bad?

Lawrence Lessig’s argument about copyright laws is based upon the nature of creativity. The story about his friend writing all of his university papers in quotes from other people is amazing. This to me shows how well-read a person can be. As scholars, we recognize a conversation about something, enter into that conversation, and raise our own voice in the discussion. What Lessig’s friend seemed to do was create his voice through “remixing” others’ voices. What an amazing talent, paralleling artists like Girl Talk—creating a totally original product by mashing up hundreds of songs.

A question that emerges out of this discussion is one that I’ve had for a long time. Following John Locke’s philosophy, we are born with a tabula rasa or a blank slate. Our environment informs us, acting as a well from which we draw information. Our “slate” is filled as we observe the world around us. According to this philosophy, it is nearly impossible to discern between what is originally produced in our mind and what is merely an amalgamation of information. When we see a movie, are we seeing something original or some kind of mixture between previous patterns of storyline, writing style, and directing? This idea seems to be intensifying as distinguished artifacts are remixed more and more. Not only is a movie like Cloverfield reproducing Blair Witch Project, Godzilla, and other movies, but directors are remaking their own movies (i.e. Bangkok Dangerous, 1999, 2008).

My concern relates to originality, if such a thing exists. When I write papers, how much “influence” from my environment is informing that writing to where it becomes plagiarism? I find this in my students’ work as well. One approach to answering this question is in the way Lessig does, by acknowledging other peoples’ voices and work that is related to your own. Pointing to the conversation as it takes place in the world, I can distinguish my own voice from others’ as I talk with them “side by side.” As I create a product (like an essay), I’m expected to recognize where the “influences” have come from. However, I’m concerned with what I’m not being able to recognize. Kris (I think it was Kris) mentioned that one of her undergrad students didn’t know if what she had written were her own ideas or if it was someone else, and therefore she could not be held accountable if she accidentally plagiarized. While I think it is ridiculous to claim complete victimhood of tabula rasa, I can’t help but worry about the example Von Lohmann discussed of movie theatres being sued for showing movies that contained un-authorized songs.

I’m intrigued by the remix culture that is expanding and how copyright is becoming more and more complicated. I believe it parallels the worries I have in my own head as I endeavor to write.

2 thoughts on “Is remixing writing bad?

1. This article exudes a captivating charm, for which I extend my gratitude, thank you! Pray, do share your pensive musings concerning the allure of Romanian women. A distinguished scribe, none other than George Wilson, has penned a compelling treatise on this very subject, a veritable masterpiece found at https://dateher.org/romanian-women/. Its persuasiveness is undeniable, casting an enchanting spell upon any discerning reader.