The Tale of Two Cities (The City I Thought I Knew and The City I Have Come To Know)

First of all, let me start by saying “Memphis and the Paradox of Place” was a great read! The author, Wanda Rushing, really put a lot of things in perspective for me. After reading this book, as well as discussing it in class, I’ve realized that I do not give Memphis enough credit. Don’t get me wrong, I love my city and where I come from, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I have so many things to be proud of when it comes to Memphis. Let’s be clear, the city of Memphis is tough. Having gone through so many trials and tribulations, setback after setback, and we’re still here. Memphis should definitely be commended.

True enough, it’s safe to say that I haven’t done a lot of research on Memphis. I guess I feel like since I’m from here, I know just about everything that has to do with Memphis, but I was completely wrong. Rushing says in her book that Memphis is underestimated by its own residents, and I couldn’t agree more. People from Memphis, including myself, are ALWAYS complaining about how there’s nothing to do here and how there are more opportunities in other cities. Now, this I agree with also, but it wasn’t until after I read “Memphis and the Paradox of Place” that I realized Memphis has so much valuable history. There is a history of people who made opportunities for themselves, regardless of the critics who say that Memphis is slow-moving and uneducated.

Rushing calls these people that I speak of as “independently minded thinkers”. To me, she’s saying these are the people who made a way for themselves without letting anyone or anything hold them back from doing what they wanted to do. There are so many individuals out there who love to throw salt on other people’s dreams, but people like Robert Church wasn’t having that. He was the nation’s first black millionaire, and guess where he was born? MEMPHIS! How freakin’ awesome is that? Then, there are people like Kemmons Wilson who started the Holiday Inn, which is still very successful today. Let’s not forget Fred Smith, the founder of FedEx. All of these people came from right here in Memphis, TN. They all made opportunities for themselves, and it’s a lesson for me because I realize now that I too can do the same.

The city of Memphis has been dragged through the mud and dirt, but we continue to stand tall. Wanda Rushing mentions, “Who would have imagined that the city once identified as a yellow fever “pestilential mudhole” and designated the unhealthiest city in the United States would become the home of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital?” We all know the wonderful work they do at St. Jude and it’s an honor to be associated with them. Memphis is also home to the Civil Rights Museum, Elvis Presley’s Graceland, Stax Museum, Peabody Hotel, and Beale Street, where many musicians got their start. In the words of Jerry Lee Lewis, “I’m going to Memphis where the beat is tough, Memphis, I can’t get enough, It makes you tremble and it makes you weak, It’s in your blood, that Memphis Beat.”

28 thoughts on “The Tale of Two Cities (The City I Thought I Knew and The City I Have Come To Know)

1. How would I use my Nike coupon code?

Discover the nike website promo code that is material to your request and will set aside you the most cash.
    Peruse on the web and add your number one Nike merchandise to your truck.
    Look at and track down the proper promo code box.
    Type in the Nike coupon precisely how you got it.
    How would i be able to respond if my Nike coupon code isn’t working?

Did you glue the Nike code into the right area?
    Is there a termination date on this Nike discount?
    Are there sure items you should purchase to utilize this Nike promo code?
    Have you met the spending least necessity?
    Are there other Nike discounts I should think about?

2. Are there Nike companions and family coupons?

The Nike companions and family discount code offers a 30% off promo code for nike discount conveyed to choose NikePlus individuals once every season. These are legitimate at any Nike or Converse plant or leeway stores in the US or Canada.

What might be said about discount Nike shoes?

Nike’s huge shoe determination is regularly remembered for their sale segment, so you ought to consistently have the option to get discount Nike shoes if that is the thing that you’re searching for. Far superior, now and then Nike offer uncommon shoe discount coupons. Previously, you’ve had the option to snatch as much as 25% off all Nike footwear with a Nike shoes promo code.

3. I’ve never been to Memphis, but after reading your story I’m interested in visiting. I often write stories about cities I’ve been to and would like to share them with you. I don’t travel much at the moment because of my studies. Because of the study load it has become almost impossible. If I can find help writing a literature review then I can finish my writing assignments sooner. And then I can think about traveling.

4. You must stay alive in this horror/puzzle adventure. Try to survive the vengeful toys waiting for you in the abandoned toy factory. Use your GrabPack to hack electrical circuits or nab anything from afar. Explore the mysterious facility… and don’t get caught. Poppy Playtime. was once the king of the toy manufacturing industry… until everybody inside of the factory one day disappeared into thin air. Now, years later, you must explore the abandoned factory and uncover the truth.

5. Take a look at Chinyere’s gorgeous collection of dresses for women online! From comfortable casuals to classic styles, we have something for every occasion. Our dresses are designed using high-quality fabrics for the perfect fit and maximum comfort. Experience the best in style, quality, and affordability. Shop now!

6. I was looking for another article by chance and found your article slotsite I am writing on this topic, so I think it will help a lot. I leave my blog address below. Please visit once.

7. Çok uygun. Çok ilginç, iyi iş ve böyle iyi bir blog paylaştığınız için teşekkürler. Yazınız o kadar inandırıcı ki, bu konuda bir şeyler söylemekten kendimi alıkoyamıyorum. Harika bir iş çıkarıyorsun.

https://www.safecasinosite.net/
    Aynen böyle devam. Bizim İçin Yazın Teknoloji

8. merhaba!, yazınızı çok seviyorum! AOL’deki yayınınız hakkında daha fazla iletişim halinde olalım mı?
    Sorunumu çözmek için bu alanda bir uzmana ihtiyacım var.
    Belki bu sensin! 사설토토 Sana bakmak için ileriye bakmak.

9. Powerful Presentations, Your Way! Elevate your impact with our custom ppt writing service . Our expert designers turn your ideas into visually stunning slides that captivate and communicate effectively. Perfect for business, academics, or any professional endeavor, our pay-for-service model ensures you invest wisely in presentation excellence. Transform your concepts into dynamic visuals that leave a lasting impression. Pay for PowerPoint presentations that make you stand out. Ready to make an impact? Contact us today for presentation perfection!

10. Recognizing your initial assumption of knowing everything about your hometown was a brave and necessary first step.
    Rushing’s book challenged your perception of Memphis from underestimated to brimming with valuable history and self-made individuals
    Visit Hygge Cottages for luxury cottages info.

11. Exploring a city can be like unraveling a mystery, revealing hidden layers and unexpected stories. Similarly, a ghostwriter delves into the depths of a narrative, uncovering the essence of a story and bringing it to life. Both experiences challenge our perceptions, enriching our understanding and appreciation of the world around us.

12. Step into style with our fashionable ladies shoes collection. From timeless classics to trendsetting designs, find the perfect pair to elevate your look. Embrace fashion that speaks volumes from the ground up.