Mid-South Coonhounds Marketing Activities and Stats

As briefly discussed in my presentation, I used a variety of marketing activities to promote my blog– Mid-South Coonhounds. I started out by creating a Facebook page and a Twitter account for my blog. These two sites were live after I had around 4-5 posts, so I immediately started linking my blog pages to these accounts for exposure. After doing so, I  invited friends from my personal Facebook page to my Mid-South Coonhounds Facebook page. I got 28 likes from that, mostly from friends of mine who have dogs. Then I basically did the same thing with Twitter. I started following friends of mine who I thought might be interested in my blog. I didn’t get any follow backs from that. So I started doing searches on both Twitter and Facebook for users and groups that were talking about coonhounds as well as local pet adoption agencies and vet clinics. I found several groups on Facebook for coonhounds, and I joined them under my Mid-South Coonhounds Facebook page as well as my personal Facebook page. After interacting and promoting my page on the group pages, I got 21 additional likes on my page. Most importantly though, engagement increased on the Mid-South Coonhound Facebook page which featured blog posts and additional coonhound related posts and information. Below is a brief summary of all Facebook interaction on my 35 posts.

• Cover Photo- 1 like
  • Frankenhound- 1 like, 2 comments
  • Combating and Upset Stomach- 1 like, 1 comment
  • Maddie Book Tour- 2 likes
  • Coonhound Ghost Video- 1 like, 1 comment
  • National Dog Show- 1 like
  • Starry Nights- 2 likes
  • Teaser- 2 likes
  • Coonhound Puppies Video- 1 like
  • Maple Photo Album- 5 likes, 1 comment
  • Annabelle Photo Album- 1 like
  • Laundry Question- 3 likes, 3 comments
  • Maple Photo- 3 likes, 2 comments
  • Santa Paws Village- 1 like
  • Profile Picture- 1 like
  • Buster Photo- 1 like
  • Maple Photo- 1 like
  • General Comments- 1
I also did the same thing on Twitter; however, I did not have as much success as Facebook. I followed several dog accounts and local pet adoption agencies and veterinarian offices, and I only received a total of 20 followers. I tweeted 59 times, and in response, I was retweeted 4 times, tweeted to 4 times, and 2 of my tweets were favorited.
In addition to these two marketing activities, I also emailed each blog owner on my blogroll. I was successful in reaching one of the owners from Coonhound Companions, and he actually added me to his Useful Links page. I also spoke to the owner of The Royal Coonhounds on the Urban Coonhounds Facebook page. She was happy that I was spreading the word about coonhounds, but nothing further has come from it so far.
Also, what I consider to be the best “marketing activity” that I did was soliciting participation from my audience. It’s been great word-of-mouth, especially from my last interview with the employee of Hollywood Feed who had adopted the three-legged coonhound. He has become an important contact for future posts.
Lastly, I had a few comments and likes directly on my 13 blog posts. Below are those stats along with a few other key highlights.
  • Combating an Upset Stomach- 4 likes
  • A Coonhound Owner Christmas Wish List- 1 comment
  • Followers- 1
  • Views- 415 total, 70 on busiest day (11/27/12)
  • Top Post- Buster
From here on out, I’m going to focus on interacting more on Facebook and continue to build my audience on Twitter. I would also like to do some outreach in the local community to move forward. I would eventually hope to make contacts in several locations throughout the Mid-South as well to add event information for other coonhound owners outside of the Memphis area.

You can visit my blog pages for my project using the links below. Thanks!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Brittney Block. Bookmark the permalink.

About Brittney Block

I am a graduate student at the University of Memphis, studying journalism with a concentration in integrated communications. I am currently working on a thesis concerning the use of QR code scanners and the mobile app Shazam. I expect to graduate Spring 2013.