Wiki Experience- Forehead Advertising

For my Wikipedia project, I altered a stub article– Forehead Advertising. When I first found the article it included a definition of forehead advertising and a few sentences about its history. Basically, the post was nearly useless for anyone who wanted more information about this type of advertising.

Another major problem beyond the brevity of the article was the Wikipedia disclaimer at the top of the article. It stated, “A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. It may require cleanup to comply with Wikipedia’s content policies, particularly neutral point of view. Please, discuss further on the talk page.”

So I looked back over the article, and I noticed that the “creator” of forehead advertising was the focus of the article entry. It turned out that the article was in fact written by the “creator” of forehead advertising as recorded on the history page of the article. This called for further exploration.

I did a lot of research on this topic, and I found out some interesting information, especially regarding forehead advertising’s origin.

First, forehead advertising started popping up around the same time in many different ways. This made finding the “creator” of forehead advertising challenging. But thanks to the Internet I was able to confirm what I believe to be the beginning of forehead advertising.

It turns out that the guy who posted the Forehead Advertising article on Wikipedia was one of the “creators” of forehead advertising. However, he failed to mention that he had a business partner who helped him with the creation of their business, Headvertise. I added this information to the article along with several famous instances of forehead advertising.

Although I did a lot of work on this article, I didn’t receive any feedback or edits. I just recently added the Forehead Advertising article to Wikipedia’s Advertising and Guerilla Marketing articles hoping that would attract more people to the article for collaboration. I think that this is just one of those instances where collaboration on a micro level might not be as significant as collaboration on a macro level.

I plan to watch my article beyond this project, especially now that I’ve added the link to  a few other pages. I am interested to see if any changes are made over a longer period of time. Hopefully, I will be able to post any changes made before the class ends this semester.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Brittney Block. Bookmark the permalink.

About Brittney Block

I am a graduate student at the University of Memphis, studying journalism with a concentration in integrated communications. I am currently working on a thesis concerning the use of QR code scanners and the mobile app Shazam. I expect to graduate Spring 2013.

2 thoughts on “Wiki Experience- Forehead Advertising

1. I like how you went into great depth to find information and confirm it. It was a kind of challenge to watch an article with no progress really, but overall it help me understand Wikipedia more.