The Long Tail

All of the readings and discussions on “the long tail” have caused me to think a lot about shopping websites like Amazon.com or etsy.com. The long tail suggests that 98% of everything sells at least once on the internet.

Amazon, as the logo suggests, sells everything from A to Z. I just recently was shopping online for a KichenAid stand-up mixer and found myself browsing on amazon, which had over 6 different models and over 15 different colors to choose from. I have also used amazon to buy books, both for school and for pleasure, nail polish (specifically OPI because I haven’t been able to find OPI on any other safe shopping websites), and movies.  Amazon is an example of a digital retailer with an “unlimited stock”. If amazon was a physical store it would probably take weeks to walk around and look at all of the merchandise. However, thanks to the internet and the long tail theory, we are able to browse millions of items (both hits and the alternatives). Amazon also has a section where items may be suggested for you. It usually shows “since you purchased this you might want to consider this or others who bought this same item also bought this)

Etsy is similiar to amazon except it has a more indie and homemade feel to it. People are able to sell their crafts and art to people ranging from $5.00 wreathes to $400 paintings. This website offers more alternatives to people while also giving the availability of more popular pieces like andy warhol prints.

One thought on “The Long Tail

1. I love to shop on Amazon as well. I purchase mostly books, and videos. Occasionally, I may purchase accessories for my cell, I-Pod or computer. I never thought about looking for nail polish. I never heard of Etsyit sounds like an interesting site to check into.