University of Memphis Wind Ensemble Presents “Autumn Triptych” – a Concert Celebrating Vietnamese Musicians

Dr. Albert Nguyen

The University of Memphis Wind Ensemble, under the direction of conductor Dr. Albert Nguyen, director of bands, proudly announces an unprecedented collaboration with acclaimed Vietnamese composer Viet Cuong and soprano Bích-Vân Nguyen on Thursday, February 29 at the Scheidt Family Performing Arts Center.

Titled “Autumn Triptych,” this mesmerizing three-movement masterpiece draws inspiration from the timeless verses of Thơ Nguyễn Khuyến. Notably, “Autumn Triptych” marks the first composition, direction and performance by Vietnamese musicians, making this a landmark event in the history of musical performance.

Reflecting on Khuyen’s renowned trilogy of autumn-themed poems, “Thu Ẩm,” “Thu Vịnh,” and “Thu Điếu,” Cuong’s composition offers a profound musical journey through the essence of the season.

Conductor Dr. Albert Nguyen shares the personal significance of this collaboration: “As a first-generation Vietnamese American, I have always felt out of place. I straddle two worlds, yet I don’t feel like I belong to either of them.” Nguyen continues, “Viet Cuong’s piece shook me to the core. For the first time, I heard something that represented me. Autumn Triptych achieves the harmony and balance that I needed to hear and feel.”

Cuong, described by the New York Times as “alluring” and “wildly inventive,” brings his enjoyment of exploration and whimsy to the creation of this piece. “In an instant, I was transported to my childhood. I could hear the Vietnamese music that was played on loop in our family van. I could hear the modern language of my musical training,” said Nguyen. “For the first time in my entire life, I heard something that represented me.”

The University of Memphis Wind Ensemble will perform “Autumn Triptych” on Thursday, February 29 at 8:30 PM as part of their College Band Directors National Association performance. The concert will be held at the Scheidt Family Performing Arts Center. Admission is free and open to the public. 

Concert Details:

• Date: Thursday, February 29
  • Time: 8:30 PM
  • Location: Scheidt Family Performing Arts Center, University of Memphis
  • Admission: Free and open to the public

Read More About the Artists:

About College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA)
Founded in 1941, the College Band Directors National Association is a grassroots organization that supports the teaching, performance and study of music for wind bands. The association includes more than 700 active members from various conservatory wind ensembles, athletic bands and small college bands.

About the National Band Association (NBA)
The National Band Association is the world’s largest professional organization for bands. It was organized to promote the musical and educational significance of bands and is dedicated to attaining a high level of excellence for bands and band music.

About the University of Memphis Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music
The University of Memphis Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music boasts a 110-year history of nurturing and cultivating successful and accomplished music professionals. Situated in Memphis, Tennessee’s vibrant and culturally diverse city, our institution has been a cornerstone of musical education and innovation.

Our mission is to provide inclusive programs that inspire, train, and propel the next generation of musicians, scholars, and industry professionals toward sustainable and fulfilling careers. With a comprehensive curriculum spanning 30-degree concentration areas, we empower over 400 student musicians with the knowledge and skills they need to thrive in the music world.

For more information about the University of Memphis Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music and our programs, please visit memphis.edu/music.

Back To Top
Skip to toolbar