Here is a list of my individual conference presentations/papers, panel and co-presenter talks, and a special interest group session I led. If you would like further information or handouts/PowerPoints/summaries for any of these, please contact me by email or through one of the social media platforms on the right.
Individual presentations / papers —
- O’Neill, Errol M. “The Impact of Google Translate on French L2 Students’ Writing.” CALICO (Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium) Conference. Montréal, Canada. May 2019.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Training students to use Google Translate and online dictionaries for class.” ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) Convention. New Orleans, LA. November 17, 2018.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “The Impact of Online Translator and Dictionary Usage on FL Writing.” ACTFL Convention. Nashville, TN. November 18, 2017.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Online Translators And Dictionaries: How Much Are They Used And How Do Students Perform?” IALLT (International Association for Language Learning Technology). Moorehead, MN. June 21, 2017.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Can Google Translate (Or WordReference) Help Students Improve Their Writing In The Target Language?“. SCOLT (Southern Conference on Language Teaching). Orlando, FL. March 17, 2017.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Online Translators: How Much Are Students Using Them.” TFLTA-West (Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Association-West). Memphis, TN. April 9, 2016.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Writing With Technology: Online Translators versus Dictionaries.” SCOLT 2016: New Levels, No Limits. February 19, 2016. Charlotte, NC.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Google Translate and Other Online Translators: Embrace, Tolerate, or Ban?” ACTFL Annual Convention. November 21, 2015. San Diego, CA.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Technologies for L2 Writing.” Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Association (TFLTA) Conference: Lead with Languages: Connect and Communicate. November 6, 2015. Franklin, TN.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Electronic Language Tools for Student Success.” TFLTA-West Regional Workshop. April 11, 2015. Memphis, TN.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Electronic Translation Tools: A Hands-On Look.” SCOLT Convention, Memphis, TN, March 2014.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “The Drawbacks and Benefits of Online Translation for L2 Writing in French.” 3rd International Conference on Second Language Pedagogies. Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. February 2014.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Detecting the Use of Online Translation in L2 Compositions.” ACTFL Convention, Orlando, FL November 22, 2013.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Online Translators: Friend or Foe?’’ Presented at Forging a Path Toward Specialization, Tennessee Association of Professional Interpreters and Translators (TAPIT) Annual Conference, Memphis, TN, September 15, 2013.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Online Translators and Second Language Writing.” SCOLT/AAFLT/SEALLT Conference, Birmingham, AL, April 12, 2013.
Panel member and co-presenter —
- Johnston, Jennifer, Nave, Josh and O’Neill, Errol M. “Articulation of World Language Departments: from the Basic Program to Advanced Level Classes.” TFLTA (Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Association). November 3, 2018. Franklin, TN.
- O’Neill, Errol M. and Reed, Mary. “Time-Saving Apps / Online Translators and Dictionaries.” TFLTA. November 4, 2016. Franklin, TN.
- Gómez Soler, Inmaculada and Errol M. O’Neill. “Targeting Pragmatic Competence in Class through Videos”. Southern Conference on Language Teaching (SCOLT) 2015: All That Glitters is SCOLT: 50 Years of Language Teaching and Learning. March 7, 2015. Atlanta, GA.
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Online Translator Usage Among Intermediate French Students.” Presented as part of the panel “Technology in the French Classroom and Increasing Time on Task” (Melanie Conroy and Jessica L. Sturm). American Association of Teachers of French (AATF) 2014 Convention, July 21, 2014. New Orleans, LA.
- Gómez Soler, Inmaculada and Errol M. O’Neill, “Behind BBC’s Mi Vida Loca: Integrating Pragmatics in the L2 Classroom,” ACTFL 2014 Annual Convention and World Languages Expo, November 23, 2014. San Antonio, TX.
Special Interest Group moderator —
- O’Neill, Errol M. “Online Translators And Dictionaries: How (Not) To Use Them.” IALLT (International Association for Language Learning Technology). Moorehead, MN. June 21, 2017.